Friday, April 30, 2010

Cop Cars and Revelation

So..despite my complete embarrassment I thought I would share a little experience I got to have! I've always heard that Visiting Teaching is often something that we benefited from as much if not more then those we visit.  If I had any doubt of that being true, it has been eliminated after this!

It was April 30th, yes, the last possible day of the month for me to get my Visiting Teaching done! I know there is always an excuse so my little and really poor excuse was that I was in school and getting all my loose ends tied before the semester ended and finals were just around the corner!
However, I got to the lady's house and I just love her! So we talked for awhile and had a good visit but soon an hour had passed and so I said goodbye and headed out to my car.  Well I go to open my car door and it won't open...of course my keys were inside on the seat and my car was locked! So as much as I hate to admit this, it was the 3rd time I had done this within an extremely unreasonable amount of time..(like 3 days!) My cell phone was inside my car so I go begging to the door to use the phone to call Cameron! Well it happened to be the busiest part of the season and so Cam was swamped! After a few minutes he answered the phone and I told him what I had done but he had customers waiting and 2 lines ringing and couldn't slip out! So we decided that since we lived only a couple blocks away, I would just walk to the house and we'd get the car when he got home, no big deal! Well I leave and walk home and I get there only to realize that my keys were in my car...my house key which is on my car keys, were in my car! I couldn't believe it!  Our house was locked up tighter then Fort Knox!
My options were either to wait, which would be for at least a solid hour, until Cam got off work; go back to the lady's home and call Cam, but they were having dinner and I was already embarrassed; or three walk to Cameron's work!  So I decided, I'd start walking.
I had been walking about 1/2 a mile and reviewing the reality of what was happening and it dawned on me that I was getting the opportunity to put the lesson I had just shared in my own life.  You see our message was on Personal Revelation and as I was walking (with lots of time to reflect...) I realized that this was my lesson of what happens when I wait until the last day to do my Visiting Teaching! Little did I know this wasn't the end of my story!  Soon I see a group of cars coming towards me, let me remind you that I had been visiting teaching and so I was wearing my skirt and high heels! Despite the modesty I still couldn't get over the message that I hoped it wasn't sending!
But about the third car that passed I realized was an officer! I was mortified because logic told me he would turn around! I final get the courage to peak around my shoulder and sure enough he was turning around! The first thing that popped into my head was oh is there any chance at all that Darwin could be in Blackfoot driving that cop car! I know most wouldn't understand who Darwin even is but for those that know him, you understand!  I guess some part of me figured that knowing the person in the car might make my embarrassment a little less and he is the only officer I know! But anyway, the officer pulls up to me and soon I realized, his LIGHTS WERE FLASHING! I about died! I told him what had happened and how I was just going to get the spare key, well after a few minutes of "let me give you a ride" and "I'm really fine" and "That highway can be busy" to "I'm really fine", I gave in.  I went to open the door when I realized he was getting out of the car...My immediate thought was: I may be putting the damsel in distress code out there but I really can open a door! Well little did I know, he was opening the back door! Yes the little hidden excitement of being able to ride in a cop car (which was a Dodge Charger by the way) was soon snatched away when I realized it wasn't very cool to sit behind bars! If I thought I was embarrassed before, riding in that seat and hearing him call my "situation" in, I was absolutely mortified!  It was quietest I think I've ever been in my life, and we couldn't get there fast enough! (I only got distracted from my embarrassment once when I saw the video of the video camera of the road in front of us! This amazing little car had some pretty sweet features!) But as we pulled up to Milestone, I couldn't get out of that car fast enough! I reach for the door and utter a thank-you, when I realized I couldn't open the door! He kindly reminded me that he had to open it as he got out of the car! I felt like I was six again and had gotten beat by the child-lock feature!  I told him thank-you and practically ran into the shop! Cameron met me at the door completely shocked that his new wife just got escorted out of a cop car! I was practically in tears and completely mortified! As I explained myself and what had happened after we had got off the phone, he felt terrible! He, like I, had been so busy that he didn't connect that our house was locked and the key in the car!
So it was an experience that I won't forget that's for sure! And it may not have been manna from heaven but it sure was a strong reminder to me that I needed to do my Visiting Teaching before the last day of the month!

Here is a video of the inside..just remember mine had bars instead of glass! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment